Blois, Chambord, Cheverny, Chaumont, Chenonceau, Villandry, Amboise… Going through the « Val de Loire » is like taking a step back in History centuries ago.
Besides these World renowned masterpieces, you will find other historic jewels, more discreet but no less interesting as the Templar Commandery of Arville (one of the most famous in France), the Manor of the Possonnière (The Poet Ronsard’s native House), the Talcy or the Courtanvaux castles as well as many wall paintings on the Loir Valley churches.
Come and visit the Loire castles, the French kings’ summer residences, between hillsides and valleys.
The Loire castles at an hour drive:
- The Royal castle of Amboise (40 mn, with the tomb of Leonardo da Vinci)
- The Royal castle of Blois (40 minutes)
- Chambord, unique masterpiece of Francois 1st
- Cheverny (that inspired the comic of Tintin)
- Chenonceau, built on the Cher river
- Chaumont and its Gardens Festival
- Le Clos Lucé (given by the king François 1st to Leonardo da Vinci)
- NEW : the Gaillard castle in Amboise with the very first Italian Renaissance gardens
- Villandry and its “à la Française” unique gardens
The wine route crosses that of the castles and is the longest in France. The Loire Valley is the 3rd largest French wine region with famous “appellations” : Vouvray, Montlouis, Bourgueil, Chinon, Touraine, Cheverny, Jasnières…
Stop off at a vineyard where you will learn about the special chemistry that exists between a particular terroir, plant, know-how and climate. You will taste and feel these wines serenely, exquisitely accompanied by local cheeses on traditional French “baguette”.
You will find a lot of microclimates in the region, due to altitude, hillside exposure and north-eastern wind, hence a great variety of wines.
You will discover all along the Loire River an exceptional wine heritage, running past numerous castles and landscapes.
Our must-tastes : the 3 wine-makers in Thoré-La-Rochette at 7 mn: Patrice Colin, Benoit Brazilier and Dominique Norguet. Don’t forget another connoisseur wine, the Jasnières at 30 mn further in the quaint Loir Valley.
Our region has definitely a green thumb and its gardens are always an invitation to travel.
If some of our gardens are intimately linked to the castle that they surround, others put forward contemporary creations like during the “International Gardens Festival” in Chaumont-sur-Loire.
Some are famous and some are hidden, but no less remarkable….all are worth a look.
And remember there is always a gardener behind every garden, passionnate and ready to share a moment with you.
Passionnate & Remarkable Gardens in the Val de Loire :
- Chateau of Troussay : park and garden. English park, rare species, ancient trees…
- Park of Cheverny castle : magnificent giant redwoods, cedars and lime trees…
- Manor of la Possonnière : birthplace of the poet Pierre de Ronsard. extraordinary vegetables…
- Chateau of Talcy : The apple and pear are the star fruits. Ancient varieties..
- Domain of Chaumont sur Loire and its International Gardens Festival
- La Fosse : Botanical park. Since 1751. Trees and shrubs found all over the world. Entrance fees are donated to an association fighting cystic fibrosis
- Plessis Sasnières Gardens : English gardens with running water. Bucolic stroll. Rare plants. New charming restaurant on site !
SPORTS & LEISURE
- Zoo Parks of Beauval (1h15) and La Flèche (1h15)
- Tennis, Petanque, Fishing (2mn)
- Hiking on the numerous country and forest paths around the house
- Hot-air balloon over the Loire castles or our quaint little Loir Valley. Special rate for our guests with ‘Les Compagnons du Vent’, do not hesitate to ask us ! Given the weather conditions, possibility to take off from La Cave Margot.
- Kayaking on the Loir River (8mn)
- Bathing pond (monitored in summer) at Villiers sur Loir (8mn)
- Equestrian center (10mn)
- Beach area (lifeguard in summer) at Villiers sur Loir’ pond (8 minutes)
- Bike rentals (10mn)
- Museums in Montoire and Vendôme (10/15 minutes)
- Outdoor and indoor swimming-pool (15 minutes)
- Cinema in Vendôme (15 minutes)
- New 3 lacs à couture sur le Loir : jet-ski, quad et buggy, paint-ball (à 25 minutes)
- The Château des Enigmes and its “escape game” (30 minutes)
- Maison de la Magie in Blois (Museum of Magic) 40mn
- Riding the Loire River by bike « la Loire à vélo » (45mn)
- Golf courses : Ardrée castle (45mn), Cheverny (1h), 7 towers castle (55mn)…