Blois, Chambord, Cheverny, Chaumont, Chenonceau, Villandry, Amboise… Going through the « Val de Loire » is like taking a step back in History centuries ago.
Besides these World renowned masterpieces, you will find other historic jewels, more discreet but no less interesting as the Templar Commandery of Arville (one of the most famous in France), the Manor of the Possonnière (The Poet Ronsard’s native House), the Talcy or the Courtanvaux castles as well as many wall paintings on the Loir Valley churches.
Come and visit the Loire castles, the French kings’ summer residences, between hillsides and valleys.
The Loire castles at an hour drive:
- The Royal castle of Amboise (40 mn, with the tomb of Leonardo da Vinci)
- The Royal castle of Blois (40 minutes)
- Chambord, unique masterpiece of Francois 1st
- Cheverny (that inspired the comic of Tintin)
- Chenonceau, built on the Cher river
- Chaumont and its Gardens Festival
- Le Clos Lucé (given by the king François 1st to Leonardo da Vinci)
- NEW : the Gaillard castle in Amboise with the very first Italian Renaissance gardens
- Villandry and its “à la Française” unique gardens
La Cave Margot is located in the Loir Valley, in the heart of the AOC ‘Coteaux du Vendômois’, very close to the renowned appellation of ‘Jasnières’ and only 40 minutes from the famous AOC of the Loire Valley (Vouvray, Montlouis, Mesland, Touraine and Cheverny).
You can visit several cellars and taste the quality of local wines just 10 minutes from here. You will be surprised by the very good quality / price ratio of the local wines.
Our favorites: The wine-makers of Thoré-La-Rochette just 7 km from La Cave Margot: Patrice Colin, Benoit Brazilier and Dominique Norguet.
Do not forget the famous Jasnières, produced around the Chartre sur le Loir. This original wine, with a beautiful amber color and renowned flint taste, is a wine of long conservation. Patience will be rewarded: it seems that after 10 years and more, this surprising wine keeps getting better!
Our region has definitely a green thumb and its gardens are always an invitation to travel.
If some of our gardens are intimately linked to the castle that they surround, others put forward contemporary creations like during the “International Gardens Festival” in Chaumont-sur-Loire.
Some are famous and some are hidden, but no less remarkable….all are worth a look.
And remember there is always a gardener behind every garden, passionnate and ready to share a moment with you.
Passionnate & Remarkable Gardens in the Val de Loire :
- Chateau of Troussay : park and garden. English park, rare species, ancient trees…
- Park of Cheverny castle : magnificent giant redwoods, cedars and lime trees…
- Manor of la Possonnière : birthplace of the poet Pierre de Ronsard. extraordinary vegetables…
- Chateau of Talcy : The apple and pear are the star fruits. Ancient varieties..
- Domain of Chaumont sur Loire and its International Gardens Festival
- La Fosse : Botanical park. Since 1751. Trees and shrubs found all over the world. Entrance fees are donated to an association fighting cystic fibrosis
- Plessis Sasnières Gardens : English gardens with running water. Bucolic stroll. Rare plants. Charming restaurant on site !
SPORTS & LEISURE
- Zoo Parks of Beauval (1h15) and La Flèche (1h15)
- Hiking or cycling on the numerous country and forest paths around the house (bike rentals at 10mn)
- Kayaking or Paddling on the Loir River (8mn)
- Tennis : 10 € per hour or 50 € per family weekly pass given to the Tennis club of Lunay (contact us)
- Bathing pond (monitored in summer) at Villiers sur Loir (8mn) + water activities (upon request from 2 pm to 7 pm) : pédalo, paddle, windsurf, catamaran, hobby cat. Tel : +33 6 40 41 72 20 ou firstname.lastname@example.org
- Equestrian center (10mn) Booking +33 6 63 91 86 40 or email@example.com
- Bike rentals (10mn)
- Museums in Montoire and Vendôme (10/15 minutes)
- 24h Le Mans race Museum (40mn)
- Outdoor and indoor swimming-pool (15 minutes)
- Water complex called Atlantides in Le Mans (wave pool, wild river…)
- Cinema in Vendôme (15 minutes)
- Several « escape game » (20 km, 30km, 40km…)
- Maison de la Magie in Blois (Museum of Magic) 40mn
- Riding the Loire River by bike « la Loire à vélo » (45mn)
- Golf courses : Ardrée castle (45mn), Cheverny (1h), 7 towers castle (55mn)…
- Helicopter flight over the castles (Le Breuil aerodrome at 30 mn)
- Hot-air balloon over the Loire castles or our quaint little Loir Valley. Special rate for our guests.